Thursday, October 20, 2011

True Love Story: Couple married 72 years dies holding hands


Ok, so I was supposed to post yesterday for Wedding Wednesday so I'm a little late lol. And yes technically this isn't a story about anything to do with weddings but it is a story about true love.

After a beautiful wedding this past Saturday (look for that post in next week's Wedding Wednesday blog!) we are still basking in happily ever after. And those who know me very well, know that one of my favorite movies is The Notebook and hearing about this couple yesterday, I just couldn't resist doing a little post about them.

Gordon and Norma Yeager were an elderly Iowa couple that really put the word Love in true love. After an unfortunate car accident, where Gordon pulled in front of an oncoming car, the couple were taken to an Iowa hospital. The nurses had put them together in the same intensive care unit and pulled their beds together.

Gordon died at 3:38 p.m. while holding his wife's hand and family members surrounding them. "It was really strange, they were holding hands, and dad stopped breathing but I couldn't figure out what was going on because the heart monitor was still going," said Dennis Yeager, youngest of the couple's four children. "But we were like, he isn't breathing. How does he still have a heart beat? The nurse checked and said 'that's because they were holding hands and it's going through them.' Her heart was beating through him and picking it up." At 4:38 p.m., exactly an hour after Gordon's death, Norma had passed away.



It was their strong love for each other that the family decided at their funeral on Tuesday to have them in one casket holding hands and then cremated and have their ashes mixed together.

Even though I have no connection to this couple or their family, I can feel the powerful love that Gordon and Norma had for each other. A love and marriage for everyone to aspire to have. Even me....which now means I will be pestering my husband about how much does he love me lol.

Click here to read the full article of Gordon and Norma Yeager.

XOXO,
Aelicia & Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment